Wednesday, December 21, 2016

On the House, the Home, and Homesickness

They ask the differences of
the house, the home;
I say the house is what you see
And the home is what you feel

But
how intertwined they are:
the corners that make your kitchen
inextricable from
your mother’s face as she
serves her lasagna

the position of your couch as it faces
the television: the house
that is the home to the stories
that filled your brain
and
nurtured your
developing consciousness

the door isn’t a door
it’s a portal, to
the first spot you slugged off
your muddy shoes
the gap where your mother’s shouts
echoed to the outside,
blistering your ears,
meeting your mother’s whispers
telling you
it’s okay while
picking pebbles out of your bloody knees

the home meets the house in
the mundanity of
laundry detergent,
the buzz of your leaky fridge,
that stubborn doorknob

in the way your sheets could
envelop you without struggle in
your bed where you
could wake up without doubts
or confusion, save
a few lingering dreams
sifting from your brain as
your dad’s sizzling bacon
saves your senses:

snap, crackle, pop.
fat, meat, salt,
home.

they ask me
what’s a house?
they ask me
what’s a home?

what I want to tell them is that,
we say we’re homesick
so we miss what we feel
you know,
home is where the heart is--
but!
the heart can’t fill
a house like that
scruffy carpet can
or those
wood floors and that
length of hallway;
perfect for running and
sliding
in our countless socks
we withered down to
mush

I’m homesick,
I say,
and I think of
the order my mother would
flip on the light switches:
a sequence created in
a house but
found only in
our home

the way the windows
danced light off our
many hanging pictures:
static architecture and the setting sun
meeting
our dynamic design and wandering eyes

so I guess what I should say,
maybe,
is that
I can’t be homesick without
a home
and I can’t say home without
my house and
well, I, uhh…
next question
please?

2 comments:

  1. you've got a way with words. next time my students ask me the difference, I'll share this with them. isn't it a funny little thing, the way they question what we hadn't thought to, and we have to make any kind of sense of it first. keep tearing things apart and piecing together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just saw this! and yes it's always about reevaluating what we know and remember and not fall for nostalgia as sacred. sometimes tearing things apart is scary, but definitely necessary.
      come back to cambodia! lmao

      Delete