Sunday, June 5, 2016

Updates...and things !

“Don't go to school” my host brother says to me as I'm about to step out the door.
“Why?” I ask.
The gust of wind that follows is my cue to the rain and ensuing storm that gathered in the last 20 minutes.
“Okay so….”
I try to call my counterpart and no luck as it starts to sprinkle. Maybe I could just hop over and make an appearance and see….
“No students” he says back to me reading my mind.
30 seconds later the rain pours down the clouds hardly dark at all, my ignorance of the rainy season revealed after what seems like an infinite dry season.
I sit now, waiting for some cosmic sign. I've seen rain last for a few minutes to hours. From dusk to dawn a steady rain pounding the corrugated metal roofs and trees, putting “Stomp!” to shame--nature wins again.
I think about how long it's been since I've posted and it's amazing how much and how little has happened. I've done a lot of trainings, a fun weekend for students who placed in a peace corps art competition, celebrated some send offs, a few birthdays, helped facilitate a diversity workshop, and tried to be a good teacher at school.
It's been a whirlwind with Khmer new year thrown in there. My semester break ended up being about 7 weeks…. As opposed to the scheduled 2 weeks we were supposed to have. Unfortunately during that time the temperature got to a mean “feels like 111°F” so a lot of that time was just my brain boiling mulling over things trying to study.
Khmer new year was about 10 days of partying, dancing almost everyday, showing off to my community that I can get down on it.
My birthday was lowkey most people forgot in my village and that was okay. They're not really celebrated here. It was also sweltering hot.
I finally got to see Angkor Wat albeit for a short time with other volunteers and some students for our winners weekend. We did different workshops and learned about different aspects of art and culture and also met new friends from around the country. It was awesome and I really want to do it again next year !!!!
I went straight from there to garden training in kampot where I realized I was stricken with a 102° fever and a throat like sandpaper. I was told to go to the hospital and 4 hours later had an antibiotic prescription for strep throat. Not very exciting or fun at all. But it was fun to help develop the garden at another volunteer’s site for the rest of the training I didn't miss.
The previous cohort is finishing up their time here and I got to see some of them before they skedaddle. I'm going to miss them and their advice but I guess we're going to be the new them, the new MASTERS of peace corps Cambodia for the babies.
Helping facilitate a diversity training (with 5 other volunteers) for all the Peace Corps Cambodia staff was awesome. We learned a lot and everyone shared amazing stories. Some about difficulties in service, most about trying to understand more. I think everybody was willing to go the extra mile to listen to different perspectives and ideas for the three days I was there. We are anticipating Peace Corps Cambodia’s first same-sex couple with this upcoming batch of volunteers!
I'm just sort of glazing over smaller details, giving a bigger picture while the rain trickles down--but if you're ever curious about anything feel free to ask. I won't judge you or leave you hanging.
Now as my sister’s wedding approaches, I think about my service so far and reflect on the love I have received from and the love I can give to my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment